If you love to spend time in the kitchen baking but you are tired of wasting time and energy with your full sized range then getting a toaster oven can really change things for you. Sure you can make toast, but today’s ovens can do so much more. As cooking technology has advanced so has the ability of countertop ovens to produce stunning results no matter what type of food you are preparing. The Kitchenaid KCO273SS is one such example of what a modern oven can truly accomplish. Bakers love it for its convection cooking function as this help speed up the process as well as ensuring every thing is done evenly for tasty treats. This unit usually makes the top 3 in most of the current convection countertop oven reviews that we have come across. It aims to set itself head and shoulders above all other toaster ovens in its class.
One of the many qualities that stand out about this particular toaster oven is its range of cooking functions. There are nine functions altogether Asado Roast, frozen, bake pizza, broil, toast, cookie, keep warm, bake muffins, bagel, and reheat. However, this excludes the convection feature, which could speed up your cooking process by up to thirty percent (30%). Hot air circulates more evenly and faster so that the exterior layer of your food tastes crispier and browns better. For the cookie mode, the convection characteristic also automatically reduces the temperature by twenty-five degrees Fahrenheit to avoid overcooking.
It is important to note that when you use the convection feature that you may have adjust your recipes as this aspect can call for different times and temperature settings. You might find some convection oven tips handy if you ever want to take advantage of this time saver in the kitchen.
Apart from the nine cooking functions and convection bake, other characteristics of the KitchenAid KCO273SS include:
- Approximate Size is 18″ (Width) x 16″ (Length) x 12″ (Height)
- One thousand eight hundred (1800) -watt
- Removable crumb drawer
- Temperature conversion
- Three rack positions
- Automatic shut-off
- Nonstick interior
- Defrost option
- LCD display
This Kitchenaid digital toaster oven combines an LCD screen with control knobs. There are two knobs the top one is the cooking function selector while the bottom knob is for setting the time and temperature. The time and temperature are adjustable in one minute, and five degrees Fahrenheit increments respectively. As a matter of convenience, you can also convert the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius.
This model has a trademarked Even-Heat technology that is designed to achieve a consistent cooking result. It turns the heating elements on and off functions; specific heating elements are turned off for part of the cooking cycle. For instance, the bake mode, the bottom, and top heating elements are typically powered up apart from the top center element, but the broil function, all the three heating elements at the top are turned on but none of the bottom elements. In other words, there is more precision in the heating system to give finer results compared to the cheap toaster ovens.
The outside dimensions are about eighteen inches (Width) x sixteen inches (Length) x twelve inches (Height) including the handle. The interior dimensions are approximately twelve and a half inches (Width) x twelve and a half inches (Length) x seven and a half inches (Height). The height is from floor to ceiling. Maximum workable space would be about five and a half inches high, measured from the bottom rack to the top heating element. The inside can fit six slices of bread or a twelve inches pizza.
· Asado roast mode – There are very few toaster ovens that carry the roast function. Only a few top end models include this as part of their cooking modes like the Breville BOV800XL. Therefore, in case you want to purchase a toaster oven that contains a roast function, then this Kitchenaid model is a perfect alternative. In addition, it has a defrost button that takes to account thawing time for the frozen foods to give better results.
· The pre-set temperature and time – This oven has a list of pre-set temperature and time for different cooking functions. You can adjust them accordingly to suit your recipes. The oven consequently stores your settings in its memory. It will revert to your current settings the next time you use it again for quick and easy cooking.
· A good substitute for regular oven – The food comes out well as most online reviewers have attested. You can use it in place of the regular oven if you are cooking for a small family. Food does not dry out, plus the toasts are perfectly done without the need to flip them over from side to side for more even shades.
· A quiet fan – The fan does not rattle like that of some toaster ovens. The appliance appears well constructed and robust weighing about twenty pounds (20 lbs). Black & Decker CTO6335S, which is also a six-slice convection toaster oven only, weighs around fifteen pounds as a comparison.
· Price – The KCO273SS model is not cheap. It is selling for over $200 at various online retail sites. This is toaster oven is comparable to the Cuisinart and Breville models. There are also many other cheaper options including the Oster TSSTTVXLDG and DeLonghi DO2058, which goes for less than $150.
· No interior light – This model does not have interior lights thus very hard to check on the progress. Some users have used a flashlight to check inside while it is running.
The complaints are few for this model from what we have gathered online. You can read more reviews of the KCO273SS and see what owners have to say about this countertop oven. Most users gave it a four to five-star rating So, is it worth buying? Yes, it is if you are a great fan of KitchenAid. The price of this model is on the higher side as compared to other models, but its roast and convection functions give a complete range of cooking modes for a toaster oven. The Even-Heat technology is unique, providing for more precise distribution of heat.